Tanuja Perera

Posted by Unknown on Monday, August 18, 2014 | 0 comments


What brought you into music?

I got into music by accident. Went to a vocal trainer called Kevin Leo who thought I had natural ability and started to mentor me. When he met my sister one day he thought we would be great as a group and singing with my sister has given me some of the best experiences of my life.

 
How would you define your style of singing?
I think of myself as a soul singer because I sing from my heart. But I have a lot of grit and power in my voice which I think comes across as quite aggressive at times. I don't know how others perceive what I do. I guess you could define it as raw.
It's hard to break into the scene here because everyone is just into hearing people sing covers. I think it's about time we started to produce and perform more original music that we could take to the world platform. We have world class singers in this country.

 
Who are your biggest inspirations?
My biggest inspirations are my family especially my mother and sister. They are strong powerful and talented women who inspire me to be the same.

 
What does music mean to you?
Music means the world to me. My passion for music comes from deep within. It was something I cut out of my life for years when I was struggling with the loss of my father and brother. Getting connected to music again has made me feel alive and I know they would be so proud seeing that I am singing again.

 
If there was one thing you could do to change the mindset of people in this country who think "musicians are those who have nothing better to do", what would it be?

I don't believe in trying to force people to change their opinions. However what I would say is everyone has a song that has touched them in one way or another and that is because of musicians like us who decided to share our experience with the world. That has to be worth something in my opinion.

 
How do you connect with the audience?
I usually connect with the audience by cracking jokes or making fun of myself. I think it's important to look comfortable on stage so that your audience is at ease. Laughter always makes people drop their guard so that's usually how I connect.

Your most memorable gig?
One of the most memorable gigs was in Africa. It was in front of 10,000 people with my sister and Fela Kuti's original band.

 
Tell me about about the competition you were a part of?
I was scouted to audition for the X factor in the UK last year. It was definitely one of the most nerve-racking experiences I have been through. Although I didn't get as far as I would have hoped, the experience gave me the confidence to start singing again and for that I am greatful.

 
Advice to musicians who are struggling to make it into the scene?
Advice to those who are trying to make it. Follow your heart. Don't be discouraged by those who say you won't make it. And finally enjoy the journey and not the destination. It doesn't matter if you make it or not. You will have an amazing time trying to find out.

Text by Reihan Stephen

More News

Most Popular

Tag Cloud

 

Recent News

Archives