Gadget Review: Asus Transformer Book T100

Posted by Unknown on Friday, September 12, 2014 | 0 comments

Gadget Review: Asus Transformer Book T100 (LKR 65,000)

Hybrid computer devices, or 2-in-1s are quite an interesting concept in my mind. Soon after Apple ushered in the tablet revolution, three devices -a smartphone, tablet and laptop/Ultrabook - seemed to be the vogue. However, now it seems a growing number users, including myself, would prefer just two devices - a smartphone and a tablet/Ultrabook. This is convenient in terms of costs and portability. This is partly because it is has dawned on us that a tablet in itself is not entirely desirable, for real work. Watching a movie on a tablet is just fine but writing an article actually requires a proper keyboard better performance. Yet, a laptop or Ultrabook seem strangely anachronistic in our times - like the mobile phones of old. Hence, we have the odd compromise: tablets that come with all sorts of attachments to resemble laptops when necessary.

The Asus Transformer Book is a classic 2-in-1 hybrid range of computers that represent the continuing evolution from laptops to tablets. In fact, the transformer book, as the name suggests, transforms from a notebook to a tablet, with quite literally, a press of a button.  It combines a decent tablet running the latest version of Windows and a reasonable keyboard attachment. What really makes the device stand out is the great price (LKR 65,000) and very impressive battery life (~12 hours for a low-intensity PowerMark test).

Pros

2-in-1 design
Great value for
Impressive battery

Cons

A little heavy for its size
Trackpad feels cramped
Display could be better

Design
It is clear that Asus used its Android 2-in-1 tablet experience to build this device. While the Asus Transformer Book isn't as sleek as the ZenBook or Surface Pro 3, it does have a great sense of practical design. The tablet part of the Transformer Book is quite bulky when compared to the latest range of tablets, but not necessary unwieldy. It is easy to spend a few hours reading while in bed or relaxing in a chair. The attachment is an old-school design which uses a fully-laptop style hinge and while this may not be as sleek as the Surface Pro 3 hinge, it feel very durable. In fact, I had no problem confidently carrying the entire device with the keyboard attachment like I would with a laptop.
One downside of the excessive use of plastic for both the tablet and keyboard. While I would have like to see more metal on the device, I am also quite certain that such a design would make the device difficult to carry around. As it is, the device is about 1.2 kg (each component weight in about 550g).  So it doesn't really weigh more than a standard Ultrabook. The keyboard element is comes loaded with a USE 3.0, a standard keyboard (without the number pad of course) and a small trackpad, which is quite cramped. However, if you plan on using touch as the primary method of navigation, this shouldn't be a problem. The Tablet features a micro MDHI video output, MicroSD slot, headphone jack, and a MicroUSB port. The volume control, Power on/off, and Home buttons are located on the sides. The device charges via a MicroUSB port like any other standard Android tablet or smartphone.

Display and Performance
The T100 feature a 10.1" 16:9 IPS HD (1366x768) scratch-resistant screen. The pixel density is about 155 PPI, which is less than those found on the Google Nexus 7, which has a smaller screen. Personally, the colour and display quality was satisfactory but performance benchmarks I found online seemed to indicate that the display could be better. However, since Asus does not price this as a premium device, it is difficult to find a serious fault with this spec.
Underneath the hood, the T100 packs in the latest version of Windows 8.1, supported by the Intel Bay Trail 1.3GHz quad-core Intel Atom Z3740 CPU. It is important to note that the new Atom processors are nothing like the old versions. The latest range can even compete with last-generation (not Haswell) i3 processors, which is quite impressive. Furthermore, 2GB of RAM compliments the processor.  Despite these specs, don't expect to run Photoshop or other demanding programmes without an issue.
The T100 comes with a range of storage options : 32GB eMMC, 64 GB eMMC, 32 GB eMMC + 500 GB HDD or 64GB eMMC + 500 GB HDD. Right now, you'll most probably find the 64 GB variant in most stores. The T100 comes loaded with Wifi and Bluetooth 4.0 but there is no NFC or 3G/4G features.

Keyboard and Trackpad
Typing on the device is not a problem and navigation is not a serious issue either. However, this does not come close to a full-sized keyboard or a USB mouse.
Battery Life
Battery life is very impressive. The combination of Bay Trail processors and intelligent power management gives the T100 a good enough average run time of about 12 hours based on a low-intensity PowerMark test. I didn't get a chance to test the battery in a variety of different usage conditions but I was able to get through a full day of work (primarily using Chrome and Google docs) without  a problem.

Camera and Speakers
The T100 features a single front-facing 1.2 MP camera. However, despite the obvious tablet features, the T100 does not come loaded with a secondary camera. The camera itself is just good enough for a video chat online but don't expect to take gorgeous selfies with this one.
I was quite impressed with the speakers, with high-quality sound even on the highest volume level.

Verdict
The Asus Transformer Book T100 does not pretend to give you a premium device and for what it offers, this is a good deal. The T100 packs in a relatively powerful device and a very reasonable cost. This is great for anyone who wants a standard hybrid device without splurging on an ultra-expensive Ultrabook or a standard Android or iOS tablet. Some issues definitely require improvement like the design, screen and keyboard module. However, these things matter less when you take into account the great battery life and value for money.

By Navam Niles (Dailymirror)

More News

Most Popular

Tag Cloud

Recent News

Archives